Wednesday 18 July 2012

Settling in to London Life

By tomorrow I have been away from home for 6 weeks. Time has flown by! Now things start to get real as I try to sort out my London life. I have managed to find some accommodation to stay in for now and am in the process of looking for work. I haven't worked in about 2 months now (such a nice feeling!) but feel I better get back into it. This also means learning all about the UK social care system.

I've moved into some student accommodation in Southwark which is in Central London, just south of the River Thames. This is my room...its not the greatest but its somewhere to base myself for now until I can figure out where I want to be.


There's a few people from the topdeck tour still hanging around London so have been able to catch up with them. Also caught up with my old friend Gatt who showed me around Shoreditch and Brick Lane for a night. My supervisor from work back in Aus has moved over here too and been ever so helpful in giving me advise around what I need to know for work. I went to her apartment last night for a lovely home cooked dinner.

In the 6 weeks that I've been away I haven't done any exercise at all! Ughhh. But a lot of eating. So in an attempt to fix that I have bought these bright new Nikes. Went for my first run in them today, fun! From where I'm staying I can run to the London Eye, so ran up that way and got some takeaway breakfast to eat along the river. Then ran back...it rained.


Technology is a great thing. Ive been able to chat to my family and friends back home quite often so not feeling too lonely or homesick yet. I got a new mini laptop and set up skype on it yesterday, so now I can skype from my room, hello pups!


I've been able to catch up with a few old and new friends over here too. Have been keeping busy by sightseeing, shopping, went to my first West End show...Phantom of the Opera, dinners, drinks, going to the markets, walking around the parks, more shopping and job hunting. So far really enjoying being here in London, its such a fun, eye opening experience to be in a city where no one knows you and that has so much to keep you entertained.

Favourite statue in Hyde Park- Peter Pan

The Churchill Arms- Notting Hill

Oxford Street Shopping

No comments:

Post a Comment