Tuesday 24 July 2012

A weekend of exploring London

This weekend the sun finally came out in London. It really makes a difference, everybody hit the outdoors to enjoy the sunshine.

The Tower Bridge

On Saturday I went out for a walk around the River Thames. There is always a lot going on around there and plenty to see and do. I first went to see the London Eye (which I have seen a lot now but always good), then past the HMS Belfast, towards the Tower Bridge which is set up with the olympic rings on it. It looks quite colorful. I walked over the bridge and headed towards the Tower of London on the other side. I decided since I was there, to buy a ticket and go in to have a look.


The Tower of London



Tower of London

It cost about £20 to get in but was definitely worth it. There's actually a lot to see once you get inside. You can go inside a few castles, walk along the walls and see old kings bedroom. There's a section with all the medieval history and lots of armor and weapons to see too.

The Tower of London

I found the best part of it was seeing the crown jewels. You go inside (can't take photos) and get taken along a travelator that slowly moves you past the crowns and jewellery of previous kings and queens. It really was quite impressive.

I spent about 2 hrs looking around the Tower of London, then headed out for some lunch. As it was a nice sunny day I got some fish and chips and ate it along the river. It was all going splendidly until a bird pood on my arm :(

By then I decided it was time to continue on, so I walked back along the river, crossing at London Bridge and swinging by the Borough Markets to by some fruit on my way back home. It is very handy living within walking distance of the river and all it's attractions...especially the food market!

On Sunday I caught up with my friend Nicole. We met at the Spitalfields Markets and spent the morning looking around there. I bought a cute necklace. We then caught the tube to Portobello Markets in Notting Hill. These are my favourite markets so far. Theres a lot of random stuff and cute little nic nacs. I bought a new coffee mug. We stopped for lunch there too, i had a crepe.

As we were leaving the markets we saw a familiar face drive by...Molly Meldrum! You could tell by his hat as he had the window rolled down. His car was going past really slowly so we had enough time to run over to him and say hello! He gave us a big smile and a wave before his car kept moving.

After that we walked along until we came to Hyde Park. As it was sunny everyone was out sunbathing in the park, jogging, walking their dogs and eating icecream.

We walked to the Marble Arch at the other end of the park stopping along the way to ask the Olympic Volunteers about how to buy tickets. There are some tickets still available, but you have to have a VISA credit/debit card to buy them as they are the sponsors...how ridiculous! Anyway we gave up on trying, apparently there might be some stalls selling once the games start where you can pay cash, so might look into them later.

Marble Arch is at the beginning of Oxford St. We walked along there, trying not to shop, then headed towards Soho to find some dinner. Came across a pub that looked good and ended up having a  delicious Sunday Roast to top of a fantastic weekend.

Bought this little fella at the Tower of London giftstore.


Portobello Markets

 
Portobello Markets

 
Frolicking in Hyde Park

No comments:

Post a Comment