Sunday 5 August 2012

More Olympics...The Womens Marathon


I went and watched the women's marathon today. It was a free event so I walked over the London bridge to the north side of the river where the streets of London were shut down and people were lining up waiting for the athletes to run past. The course involved 3 or 4 laps of the same route so I was able to see them run past a few times and I walked towards the finishing line as time went on to see how it all ended.

The crowd was amazing cheering the athletes on and encouraging them all no matter which country they came from. Towards the end there was a girl who started walking - the crowd all encouraged her to keep going and when she started running they gave her the biggest cheer. It was really nice to see.

It was raining during half of the event so got totally drenched, but had my rain jacket on and it was worth going out in the rain to see such amazing athletes. A runner from Ethiopia won in the end and Australia came 17th, 39th and 100th. It was an achievement just to finish the run. They've inspired me to get off my butt and go running again!


The Aussies

The Winner on the right (Gelana)

No comments:

Post a Comment