Wednesday 15 August 2012

House Hunting - London - August 2012

I've been house hunting for the past month with no success. It's really hard to find anything decent in London and rent is very pricey! I'm looking with my friend Hayley (who I randomly met at another house viewing)- we've both moved over from Aus on our own recently and have found jobs but no homes so decided we'll stick together in our search.

We've been trying to find something in Clapham Junction close to the station as we both can catch the train to work from there. So far what we've seen has been pretty crappy for the price we want to pay. London rent is very expensive! We found out we cant go through real estate agents as they charge you for reference checks, and asking around, we basically will both fail checks as we have no credit or rental history in the UK! So private rental it is.

Yesterday we headed off to look at a house share that has a few rooms becoming available. It is a big Victorian house, 3 stories, 6 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, big garden! Its the nicest place we've seen so far and in a good location. There were about 20 other people going through to look and all seemed keen to apply, but we were lucky enough to get the landladies interest and secured two of the rooms while we were there. She said we looked like nice girls, haha. I think we got lucky and had more of an advantage because we were looking together.

So woooo I have a home! No more student accommodation (which is getting rowdy now cos all the students are coming back from summer break soon).

I don't move in until mid-september but am looking forward to it. We met some of the housemates at the viewing and they seemed pretty cool too. It's going to be an experience living in a 6 bedroom house but hopefully it will work out well and it won't get too crowded! The house is huge so think it will be good. I'm just glad I'll finally have an address I can call home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment